Remove any section by clicking it's corresponding [X]. When ready, click here to print.
Sandra T. Chinn-Gilstrap | Principal
[X] Sandra Chinn-Gilstrap practices primarily in the areas of domestic relations and family law, elder law, guardian and conservatorships for adults, wills and estate planning, criminal and traffic, general corporate, real estate, personal injuries, and mental-health law.
Fluent in Spanish, her multicultural background and diverse areas of concentration enable her to offer a comprehensive assessment of her clients’ needs, assisting them with the emotional and financial complexities of the law. Sandra joined Woods Rogers in 2012 following the acquisition of her private practice in Danville.
She is well known in Virginia’s mental health community, having participated in thousands of mental health commitment proceedings and court-ordered medical treatment hearings. She has served on a panel of lecturers at the 2010 Virginia Special Justice Annual Conference and on the Supreme Court of Virginia’s Mental Health Task Force on Rules of Court.
Sandra was an adjunct professor at Danville Community College, lectured on wills and estates, and is a member of Danville Regional Medical Center’s Bioethics Committee for end-of-life ethical decisions facing families and physicians.
Sandra graduated with a bachelor’s degree with distinction from the University of Virginia, studied at the Universite de Toulouse, France, and earned her law degree from the University of Miami.
Proudly serving the Danville Pittsylvania County Community, she has been honored as the Victorian Chapter of the American Business Women’s Association’s Business Advocate of the Year in 2001, Her magazine’s Attorney of the Year in 2011, and as one of Danville’s top attorneys in the People’s Choice Awards 2012.
She serves on the board of directors for Smart Beginnings and Danville-Pittsylvania County Early Childhood Education Coalition and is active in a variety of community groups, including Danville Soccer Club, Blue Ridge Soccer League, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, George Washington High School Booster Club, and AAU Gymnastics Parents’ Association.
- Danville Bar Association: Treasurer, 1999-2000, Secretary 2000-2001, President 2002-2003; 2003-2004
- Danville Law Day Chairperson 1996
- Chairperson for Juvenile Court Judiciary Recognition Committee of Judge Kerr (First Female Judge)
- Virginia Women’s Attorney Association: Board of Directors 1997-2005, 2003-2005 Secretary
- 22nd Circuit Judiciary Selection Committee Chair
- Virginia State Bar Young Lawyer’s Chair for Commission on Youth 1998
- Immigration Bar Association 1999-2000
- Virginia Hispanic Bar Association 1999-2000
- Virginia State Bar Litigation Section’s Young Lawyer’s Liaison 2004-2008
- Virginia State Bar’s CLBA Executive Committee 2006-2010
- Virginia State Bar General Practice Section Board 2008-2010
- Virginia Supreme Court Mental Health Task Force on Rules of Court for Involuntary Commitment Proceedings 2010-2011
- National Association of Counsel For Children-2012 Member
- Child advocacy and professional association