Beth Burgin Waller uses her significant experience in technology to counsel clients on a broad range of issues.
As chair of the Cybersecurity Practice at Woods Rogers, she advises clients in the midst of data breaches, on cybersecurity preparedness, and on privacy concerns. In this capacity, she guides clients on matters ranging from incident response plans to cybersecurity insurance coverage. She also counsels clients with international business on compliance with privacy regulations such as the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation.
Outside of cybersecurity, Beth advises clients on the assessment of risks, regulatory compliance, and the protection of intellectual property rights. Her clients range from universities to hospital systems to manufacturers to technology startups. Beth also assists clients in high tech fields from biotechnology to software development.
Beth has been named a Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Intellectual Property and Business Litigation. Virginia Business Magazine has also ranked her in their legal elite listings. In 2017, she was named a Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyer”, one of 15 attorneys selected across the Commonwealth for this distinction.
Beth serves on the board of directors of the Roanoke Blacksburg Technology Council. She also serves on the state advisory board for the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership. In addition, Beth is a member of the board of Restoration Housing. Finally, she supports WVTF/ RADIO IQ as a member of its Friends Council.
She is an adjunct professor of law at Washington and Lee University Law School, teaching courses in electronic discovery since 2013. In 2018, Beth was appointed to serve as a member of the Virginia State Bar’s Special Committee on Technology and the Practice of Law.
From Floyd, Va., Beth graduated magna cum laude from Hollins University with honors in creative writing. Beth attended the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at the University of Virginia before earning her law degree from the College of William & Mary.
American Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association
Virginia State Bar—Special Committee on the Technology and Practice of Law
Roanoke Bar Association
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Washington and Lee Law School—Adjunct Professor
Sorensen Institute— State Advisory Board
WVTF – Friends Council
Restoration Housing – Board of Directors
Data in Danger
Lynchburg Business Magazine
Fire Where There is No Flame: The Constitutionality of Single-Sex Education in the Commonwealth
William & Mary Journal of Women and the Law
- Cybersecurity in 2019: A Look Ahead
- Assess – Improve – Prevent
- The Intersection Between Cybersecurity and Privacy: New NIST Guidance
- Happy Day One of World-Wide Privacy Regulations
- The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Touches U.S. Based Companies – Are You Ready?
- Trick or Treat? Operating a business without the right cybersecurity insurance in place can be truly terrifying
- Contracting with the Department of Defense? Cybersecurity Compliance Deadlines Are Approaching
- NY State Dept. of Financial Services’ Sweeping Cybersecurity Regulations
- Cyber-attack: Are You Prepared to Pay the Ransom?
- Employee Confidentiality Agreements: Hidden Deadly Weapons in Trade Secret Battles
- ICANN Domains Getting “Sucked” into Controversy
- Charlottesville Chamber of Commerce, October 25, 2018: Mission Possible: Cybersecurity Education and Defense for the Rest of Us
- Liberty University Law School Homecoming, October 20, 2018: Cybersecurity
- ACEC HR Forum, October 16, 2018: The Role of HR in Securing the Workplace
- General Counsel Roundtable, September 26, 2018: Cybersecurity
- Virginia Tech Roanoke Center Facts & Snacks, August 30, 2018: Cybersecurity and Privacy
- CICV Conference for Chief HR Directors & Chief Financial Officers, June 14, 2018: Top Challenges in Cybersecurity Facing Higher Education in the 21st Century
- CICV Technology Conference for Chief Information Officers, May 18, 2018: Cybersecurity
- Virginia Community College System Information Security Officer Conference, May 17, 2018: General Data Protection Regulation
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys—Spring Sections Seminar, May 10, 2018: Advances in Electronic Medical Records: Key Tactical Issues
- Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center, April 24, 2018: European Union General Data Protection Regulation
- Commonwealth of Virginia Information Security, April 13, 2018: Privacy and Security from a Legal Perspective
- Virginia State Bar CLE: Annual Real Estate Seminar, March 2-3, 2018: Cybersecurity, Ethics and Real Estate Law
- 12th Annual VA Health Information and Management Systems Society H.I.T. Advocacy Day, January 25, 2018: Cybersecurity Planning: Insurance & Working with Outside Legal Counsel
- Virginia Bio, January 16, 2018: Cybersecurity Incident Response (Webinar)
- Roanoke Chamber of Commerce Business Summit, May 2017: Panelist, Cybersecurity
- Cox Business CIO Forum, October 2017: Panelist, Cybersecurity
- Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center, October 2017: Panelist, Cyber Forum
- Roanoke Chapter, Annual CPE Conference, October 2017: Panelist, Cybersecurity
Electronic Discovery – W&L Law – Fall 2018
Annual Labor and Employment Seminars
Protecting the Workplace: Cybersecurity (2018)
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.