Heman Marshall focuses his practice primarily in Health Law, Business and Corporate, and Antitrust. He provides counsel and guidance to businesses, individuals, hospitals, clinics, physicians, dentists, long-term care facilities, and other healthcare providers and organizations on federal and state antitrust and health regulatory matters including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, IPA and PHO creation and operation, trade association activities, Stark, state and federal anti-kickback laws, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues, managed care negotiations, physician-hospital contracting, Accountable Care Organizations (ACO), HIPAA/HITECH compliance and enforcement, and state Certificate of Public Need issues.
He also assists individual healthcare clients in professional licensure, professional staff and managed-care credentialing issues.
From 1995 to 2003, Heman served as president and/or chairman of Woods Rogers. He was the initial chairman of the Virginia Bar Association Health Law Section and has also served as Chairman of the Virginia State Bar Health Law Section and the Antitrust, Franchising and Trade Regulation Section. He currently serves as a member of the VBA Health Law Practice Section Counsel.
Heman is a frequent speaker on health law issues. His published works include a chapter in the American Bar Association publication The Managed Care Experience and a chapter in the Aspatore law series’ Inside the Minds titled “Health Care Deal Considerations and Strategies.”
His industry recognition includes:
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Law, Health Care Litigation, Antitrust Law)
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business magazine (Health Law)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Health Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review
Heman’s community activities include volunteer work for Family Service of Roanoke Valley. He received the Virginia Governor’s Award for Volunteering Excellence for his efforts with the Bradley Free Clinic’s major capital campaign.
Roanoke Bar Association—2014 Fellow
Virginia State Bar—Chair, Board of Governors, Health Law Section (1988-89); Chair, Board of Governors, Antitrust Franchise and Trade Regulation Section (1989-90)
Virginia Bar Association—Executive Committee (1999-2001); Board of Governors (2002-03); Chair, Law Practice Management Division (2002-03); Chair, Health Law Section (1992-94); Member, Health Law Section Council (2006—present)
Virginia Law Foundation—Fellow
American Bar Association—Antitrust Section; Health Law Section
American Bar Foundation—Fellow
Roanoke Law Foundation—Fellow
American Health Lawyers Association
- 2015-1 Trade Cases (CCH)Hanger, e.t. al. v. The Berkley Group, Inc. 2015 WL 3439255 (W.D.Va. May 28, 2015)
- Caudill v. County of Dinwiddie, 259 Va. 785, 529 S.E.2d 313, 2000 WL 429444, Va., April 21, 2000(Record No. 990891.)
- Gasner v. Board of Sup’rs of the County of Dinwiddie, Va., 103 F.3d 351, 1996 WL 741803, 65 USLW 2451, Fed. Sec. L. Rep. P 99,379, 36 Fed.R.Serv.3d 1500, C.A.4 (Va.), December 31, 1996(No. 96-1010.)
- Bristol Steel & Iron Works v. Bethlehem Steel Corp. 41 F.3d 182, 1994 WL 677257, 1994-2 Trade Cases P 70,812, 30 Fed.R.Serv.3d 1460, 41 Fed. R. Evid. Serv. 691, C.A.4 (Va.), December 05, 1994(No. 93-2358.)
- Oksanen v. Page Memorial Hosp., 945 F.2d 696, 1991 WL 168479, 60 USLW 2207, 1991-2 Trade Cases P 69,562, C.A.4 (Va.), September 04, 1991(No. 89-1768.)
- Tempkin v. Lewis-Gale Hosp., Inc., 930 F.2d 913, 1991 WL 58458, 1991-1 Trade Cases P 69,401, Unpublished Disposition C.A.4 (Va.), April 19, 1991(No. 89-2504.)
- Advanced Health-Care Services, Inc. v. Radford Community Hosp., 910 F.2d 139, 1990 WL 111463, 59 USLW 2134, 1990-2 Trade Cases P 69,152, C.A.4 (Va.), August 07, 1990(Nos. 89-2312, 89-2376 and 89-2377.)
- U.S. v. Carilion Health System, 892 F.2d 1042, 1989 WL 157282, 1989-2 Trade Cases P 68,859, Unpublished Disposition, C.A.4 (Va.), November 29, 1989(No. 89-2625.)
- Virginia Synod Lutheran Homes, Inc. v. Baecher, 843 F.2d 1389, 1988 WL 30678, Unpublished Disposition, C.A.4 (Va.), April 08, 1988(No. 87-2081.)
- McCready v. Blue Shield of Virginia, 649 F.2d 228, 1981-1 Trade Cases P 64,014, C.A.4 (Va.), May 12, 1981(No. 78-1883.) Affirmed 457 U.S. Supreme Court 465 (1982)
- Virginia Academy of Clinical Psychologists v. Blue Shield of Virginia, 624 F.2d 476, 1980-2 Trade Cases P 63,395, C.A.4 (Va.), June 16, 1980(No. 79-1345.)
- State of W.Va. ex rel. McGraw on Behalf of Bd. of Educ. of County of Greenbrier v. Meadow Gold Dairies, Inc., 875 F.Supp. 340, 1994 WL 752592, 1995-1 Trade Cases P 70,866, 97 Ed. Law Rep. 1042, W.D.Va., November 25, 1994(Civ. A. No. 93-915-R.)
- Supermarket of Marlinton, Inc. v. Meadow Gold Dairies, Inc., 874 F.Supp. 721, 1994 WL 752593, 1995-1 Trade Cases P 70,867, W.D.Va., November 23, 1994(Civ. A. No. 93-0968-R.)
- Advanced Health-Care Services, Inc. v. Giles Memorial Hosp., 846 F.Supp. 488, 1994 WL 94068, 1994-1 Trade Cases P 70,591, W.D.Va., March 15, 1994(Civ. A. No. 88-0346-R.)
- Virginia Academy of Clinical Psychologists v. Blue Shield of Virginia, 469 F.Supp. 552, 1979-1 Trade Cases P 62,635, E.D.Va., April 09, 1979(Civ. A. No. 78-0496-A.)
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.