Jim McKell is a member of the firm’s Business and Corporate practice group, specializing in banking law, real estate law, corporate governance, and contracts. He represents lenders and borrowers, buyers and sellers, and helps set up and organize the governance of small businesses. Jim’s experience includes assisting in large merger and acquisition projects and securing lending on projects of up to $2 billion.
Jim is Woods Rogers’ Certified CUNA Credit Union Compliance Expert. In this capacity, he staffs the regulatory compliance hotline Woods Rogers operates for the Virginia Credit Union League (VACUL).
A graduate of the Duke University School of Law, Jim has clerked with the North Carolina Court of Appeals. He has also assisted the general counsels of large North Carolina employers and acted as editor on two separate legal journals. Jim has been recognized as a Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholar, an Arthur Lawson Scholar, and a Roy O. Rodwell Sr. Scholar. His undergraduate degree is from Wake Forest University. Jim’s experience includes an internship with the Transportation Committee of the North Carolina House of Representatives. He also completed a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Barbara Jackson, the Honorable Rick Elmore, and the Honorable Bob Hunter of the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Jim is a volunteer for the Roanoke Legal Aid Pro Bono Hotline and the Virginia Bar Association’s Rule of Law project. A member of the National Eagle Scout Association, he has been an academic area director at Boy Scout summer camps in California and North Carolina.
National Eagle Scout Association
Lambda Chi Alpha Alumni Association
Omicron Delta Kappa Alumni
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented petroleum company in $2.7 million sale of all business assets and associated entities
- Represented limited liability company through the process of a buyout by select members
- Represented banking corporation in the merger with its parent corporation
- Represented large rail company in a buyout of all assets and an extension into multiple ancillary jurisdictions
Corporations and Limited Liability Companies
- Represented small businesses in formation, modification, termination, and management of the corporate form
- Represented multiple small business owners in transferring portions of their interests, including through complex and conditional contracts
Banking, Finance, and Secured Transactions
- Represented borrower in adding $78 million in real estate as collateral on a $2 billion loan, developing novel interpretation of new statutes to save over $100,000 in recording costs
- Represented bank as primary contact for problem borrowers who claimed racial discrimination while defaulting on loans
- Represented bank in cross collateralization efforts and a guarantor’s estate that was revealed to be insolvent
- Represented banks and credit unions in new loans, including guaranties, Deeds of Trust, Security Agreements, and attendant documents
- Represented banks in preparing custom forbearance documents to reform problem loans
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.