Karen’s practice includes risk management, civil litigation, and mediation, commercial real estate development and land use, construction contracts and disputes, insurance defense, and insurance coverage. Karen has co-authored chapters on commercial general liability insurance in Virginia Insurance Law and insurance coverage in the Virginia Construction Law Deskbook. In addition, Karen served as a legal panelist for the Associated General Contractors of Virginia’s annual convention.
Karen graduated cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where she served as Senior Notes Editor for the Georgetown International Environmental Law Review. She earned her B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from Colgate University. Prior to law school, Karen worked in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
In addition to her law practice, Karen serves on the Board of Directors of the Foothills Child Advocacy Center and served for three years as the Secretary of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association.
Associated General Contractors of Virginia
Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
Urban Land Institute
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
“Protecting Payments on Construction Projects from Bankruptcy Estate Claw-Backs,” Virginia Lawyer, June 2019
Highlights of her experience include:
- Representing property owners, contractors, and subcontractors in complex construction disputes.
- Representing mechanic’s lien claimants and defendants in resolving lien claims.
- Representing owners and contractors in contract preparation, negotiation, and risk management for large construction projects.
- Representing insured defendants sued for personal injury or property loss, including representation of medical care providers.
- Representing title insurers in resolving title defects.
- Representing liability insurers in preparing coverage opinions.
- Representing owners with commercial real estate development and land use disputes.
- Representing defendants in securing court approval for settlements with minors.
Easement Prevents Road Over Pipelines | July 9, 2019
Economic Loss Rule Update | July 2, 2019
Dangers of Arbitration: Decisions Stand Even if Contrary to Law | April 2, 2019
Teaming Agreement Created No Enforceable Post-Award Obligations | February 22, 2019
Bankruptcy in Construction: Protecting Payments from Claw-Backs | February 13, 2019
Associated General Contractors of Va | Construction Case Law Update | January 26, 2019
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.