Karen’s practice includes risk management, civil litigation, alternate dispute resolution, commercial real estate development and land use, construction contracts and disputes, insurance defense, and insurance coverage.
Karen has co-authored chapters on commercial general liability insurance in Virginia Insurance Law and insurance coverage in the Virginia Construction Law Deskbook. In addition, Karen served as a legal panelist for the Associated General Contractors of Virginia’s annual convention.
Karen graduated cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where she served as Senior Notes Editor for the Georgetown International Environmental Law Review. She earned her B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from Colgate University. Prior to law school, Karen worked in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
In addition to her law practice, Karen recently completed a three-year term on the Board of Directors of the Foothills Child Advocacy Center, a three-year term as the Secretary of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association, and a two-year term as Co-Chair of the Women’s Leadership Initiative Committee at the Urban Land Institute of Virginia.
“Protecting Payments on Construction Projects from Bankruptcy Estate Claw-Backs,” Virginia Lawyer, June 2019
- Representing property owners, contractors, and subcontractors in complex construction disputes.
- Representing mechanic’s lien claimants and defendants in resolving lien claims.
- Representing owners and contractors in contract preparation, negotiation, and risk management for large construction projects.
- Representing insured defendants sued for personal injury or property loss, including representation of medical care providers.
- Representing title insurers in resolving title defects.
- Representing liability insurers in preparing coverage opinions.
- Representing owners with commercial real estate development and land use disputes.
- Advising clients on zoning, permitting, and land use issues.
Energy Regulation In Virginia: State Corporation Commission’s Broad Discretion
September 10, 2020
Condo Association’s Insurer Allowed to Pursue Subrogation Claim Against Condo Owner’s Tenant
August 5, 2020
Virginia Supreme Court Permits Supplier’s Unjust Enrichment Claim Against Contractor, Despite Lack of Contractual Privity
June 29, 2020
Commercial General Liability Policies: Workmanship Exclusion and Ensuing Loss Exception
October 16, 2019
Defective Contractual Performance Is Not an “Occurrence” Under a Commercial General Liability Policy
August 23, 2019
Easement Prevents Road Over Pipelines
July 9, 2019
Economic Loss Rule Update
July 2, 2019
Dangers of Arbitration: Decisions Stand Even if Contrary to Law
April 2, 2019
Importance of Narrowly Tailoring Indemnity Provisions in Construction Contracts
March 25, 2019
Teaming Agreement Created No Enforceable Post-Award Obligations
February 22, 2019
ULI Virginia - Women's Leadership Initiative | Renewable Energy Panel Discussion
May 20, 2021
ULI Virginia - Women's Leadership Initiative | Equitable Housing Panel Discussion
September 23, 2020
Associated General Contractors of Virginia - Piedmont District | Insurance Coverage on Construction Projects
March 4, 2020
Associated General Contractors of Va | Construction Case Law Update
January 26, 2019