Karen Stemland focuses her practice on civil litigation, construction, insurance, real estate, energy, and commercial matters. Ms. Stemland’s practice includes providing assistance with construction disputes, risk management, contract drafting and negotiation, mechanic’s lien claims, bond claims, resolution of title defects, insurance coverage, and insurance defense. Ms. Stemland has co-authored chapters on commercial general liability insurance in Virginia Insurance Law and insurance coverage in the Virginia Construction Law Deskbook.
Highlights of her experience include:
- Representing property owners, contractors, and subcontractors in complex construction disputes.
- Representing mechanic’s lien claimants and defendants in resolving lien claims.
- Representing owners and contractors in contract preparation, negotiation, and risk management for large construction projects.
- Representing title insurers in resolving title defects.
- Representing liability insurers in preparing coverage opinions.
- Representing owners with commercial real estate development and land use disputes.
- Representing defendants in securing court approval for settlements with minors.
- Representing insured defendants sued for personal injury or property loss.
Ms. Stemland graduated cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where she served as Senior Notes Editor for the Georgetown International Environmental Law Review. She earned her B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from Colgate University. Prior to law school, Ms. Stemland worked in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
In addition to her law practice, Ms. Stemland is the Secretary of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association and serves on the Board of Directors of the Foothills Child Advocacy Center.
Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.