Woods Rogers provides a comprehensive range of tax-related services for businesses and individuals. Our attorneys have strong backgrounds in the field of tax, including several with advanced law degrees in taxation.
Our attorneys offer support to businesses and individuals in situations that may have local, state, federal, and international tax implications. We provide tax compliance counseling and tax planning, as well as representation in tax controversies, including litigation.
Our business and corporate tax practice includes employee benefits planning and tax-exempt financing. We also support clients with estate planning and charitable gift planning strategies.
Our full range of services covers:
- Tax-deferred business acquisitions
- Historic Tax Credits
- Business succession planning
- Deferred compensation plans
- Executive compensation
- Family limited partnerships
- International tax issues
- Like-kind exchanges
- Nonprofit organizations and foundations
- Preparation of complex federal and state tax returns
- Sales taxes and other state and local taxes
- Qualified retirement plans such as defined benefit, profit sharing, 401(k), and ESOPs
- COBRA, HIPAA, and ACA coverage
- Section 457 plans for tax-exempt organizations
- Tax-exempt financing
- Welfare plans such as cafeteria, dependent care, severance pay, and insured and self-insured health plans
Tax Planning and Compliance
Woods Rogers’ tax attorneys help clients achieve their financial goals by minimizing risks, maximizing after-tax profits, and providing tax advice on the day-to-day concerns that affect businesses and their bottom line.
We provide tax planning services on federal, state, and local taxes and regulations for publicly traded corporations and privately-owned businesses of all sizes.
Our Tax attorneys have a wealth of experience and expertise representing individuals, corporations, nonprofit organizations, and other business entities in civil and criminal tax litigation, as well as in administrative tax controversies. We handle tax audits and tax collection matters at the federal, state, and local government levels.
Woods Rogers’ Tax group includes attorneys who have earned post-graduate degrees in taxation, and the practice group leader is a former trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice Tax Division.
Woods Rogers regularly represents clients before administrative and judicial forums such as:
- Internal Revenue Service Appeals Division
- Local Virginia tax departments
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- Virginia Tax Commissioner
- Virginia trial and appellate courts
Charitable Gift Planning
Our team of tax attorneys can turn your philanthropic dreams into reality with strategic advice on charitable gift planning. We assist clients on the structure and implementation of charitable lead and charitable remainder trusts, land trusts, private foundations, charitable gift annuities, conservation easements, and major charitable gifts.
As part of Woods Rogers’ community involvement, we serve as legal counsel to many nonprofit organizations and assist with organizational issues, obtaining tax-exempt status, developing grant-making policies, advising on tax and regulatory compliance, and other matters unique to the operation of charitable organizations.
- Virginia Tax Department Focus on Worker Misclassification
- Like-Kind Property Exchanges Under the 2017 Tax Act
- Employee Benefits Plans Timeframes Extended (Coronavirus and the Law)
- Paycheck Protection Loan Borrowers Should Consider Funding 401(k) and other Defined Contribution Retirement Plans Now (Coronavirus and the Law)
- New Temporary Regulations Entitle Employees to Keep Group Healthcare Benefits During COVID-19 Leave (Coronavirus and the Law)