We show businesses how to navigate risk in a data-driven world.
Woods Rogers’ cybersecurity and data privacy lawyers and professionals—one of the first teams in Virginia—couples deep experience with knowledge of emerging issues.
The Woods Rogers Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Group is the law firm equivalent of a special mission unit, aiming with sharp surgical precision. We’re a local and global team of privacy wonks and security experts. We bring the energy and innovation of a startup disrupting the cybersecurity/data privacy legal industry with the structure and resources of a 128+ year old law firm.
From tactics posed by threat actors to the needs of data regulators, we help you unravel the flow of information and evaluate how to protect you from data’s biggest risk: legal liability. We help you build an arsenal against emerging threats in cybersecurity and the complicated world of data privacy while using attorney-client privilege as a protective shield.
- No business is too large or too small for a cyberattack. We advise companies of all sizes on cybersecurity, privacy, and cyber resilience issues.
- We serve a wide variety of industries, including energy, healthcare, financial, technology, manufacturing, and municipal sectors.
We understand what it takes to protect data across your business.
Members of our cybersecurity team can help you with a variety of cybersecurity issues, from helping create an information security program to crafting the right policies and procedures. We use our experience to assist your business with:
- Technology contract review including negotiation of data protection addendums and information security agreements
- Incident response planning
- Drafting and reviewing policies and procedures
- Retention of cybersecurity experts and vendors
- Customized tabletop exercises, training, and breach simulations
- Cybersecurity insurance review and counseling
- Records management and information infrastructure
- Risk management, including privacy and third party supply chain
- Assessing cybersecurity risk in mergers and acquisitions
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Compliance
- Regulatory compliance, including obligations under numerous federal, state, and international laws including GLBA, HIPAA, GDPR, NERC, CCPA/CPRA, and CDPA
We are the legal team that can move between the server room and the board room.
Cybersecurity incidents aren’t the only thing that keeps leadership in your organization up at night. You may need to answer to shareholders, regulators, or investors regarding the strategic cyber and privacy compliance steps you’ve taken. Not only can we help develop risk management plans, but our team can also create customized cybersecurity and data privacy training for your board, your c-suite leaders, and your staff based on the real-world incidents and problems we solve daily.
Cybersecurity Rapid Incident Response
When you are in the midst of an incident, every moment counts. From breach notification requirements to working with law enforcement and notifying the media, we know how to help. We’re ready with 24/7 support and counseling. You can email us at email@example.com if you need support in the midst of your cyber incident.
If you are in the depths of an incident and unsure of whether you have cyber insurance coverage, we also know how to navigate the complicated world of cybersecurity incident response vendors and engagements. When a potential catastrophe looms, we know how to quickly assemble incident response, digital forensics, and media support teams to assist you in the midst of your crisis.
During an incident, you will benefit from our in-house, non-attorney, cybersecurity/data privacy analyst who is paired with our attorneys to manage the technical forensic response units responding to a claim. This technical expertise allows us to manage your expenses at the granular level. We understand the “ins and outs” of a network rebuild due to ransomware in a way that many legal departments simply do not. With forensic costs outpacing legal costs, our ability to understand the technical nuances of the incident response adds value over a traditional approach.
Privacy Program Building
Staffed with Certified Information Privacy Professionals who navigate privacy regulations daily, our team can evaluate your current privacy compliance program or help build one from the ground up.
We have experience drafting Data Privacy Impact Assessments (DPIAs / PIAs) and delving into the nuances of day-to-day privacy program management.
In-house Counsel Privacy / Cybersecurity Staff Augmentation
We work alongside your general counsel as they build their internal privacy and cybersecurity support personnel in large legal departments, providing seamless service while your organization expands into these new legal specialties.
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Executive and Board Training
Responsibility for cybersecurity and data privacy is an enterprise-wide issue.
A data breach is not only a concern for the CISO or the CIO, but the entire company. Executives and board members are in leadership roles because they are adept at managing a company through significant challenges. Today, every director and officer must understand the fundamentals of both cybersecurity and privacy on state, national and global levels. Companies with dedicated cybersecurity and privacy strategies have a competitive advantage in this new age. Our executive and board training, designed specifically for your company, is the first step.
- Internal Inferences Must Be Disclosed to Consumers Under CCPA
- Proposed SEC Cybersecurity Rules Require Public Companies to Act Now
- New Notification Requirements for Critical Infrastructure
- Banks Will Have 36 Hours to Report Cyberattacks Under New Rule
- Questions About Tort and Contract Claims in the Cybersecurity Context Left Unsettled