Josh Long is the Chair of Woods Rogers’ Intellectual Property group and a member of the Litigation and Labor and Employment groups. He concentrates his practice on matters pertaining to business torts, contract disputes, intellectual property, and unfair competition.
Josh’s experience includes antitrust cases, employee benefits (ERISA), employment law, land-use matters, litigation defense, and state and federal appellate practice.
Prior to joining Woods Rogers, Josh practiced law in Charlotte, N.C., and was a law clerk for the Hon. Frank Bullock Jr., U.S. District Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina in Greensboro.
Josh serves currently as vice president of the Roanoke Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star and as one of the Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine.
A native of Chapel Hill, N.C., Josh earned his bachelor’s degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Richmond. He graduated with honors from law school at the University of North Carolina, where he was a member of the North Carolina Law Review and on the Board of Editors of the North Carolina Banking Journal.
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association—Roanoke Chapter
North Carolina State Bar
North Carolina Bar Association
Roanoke Bar Association
Virginia State Bar
Virginia Bar Association
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Supreme Court Says EEOC Conciliation Efforts Subject to (Narrow) Judicial Review (With Limited Remedies)
Annual Labor and Employment Seminars:
- Managing an Electronic Workplace: Business Interests vs. Employee Privacy (2014)
- Hale v. Broadspire Services, Inc., 232 Fed.Appx. 278 (4th 2007)
- Hale v. American Elec. Power Ltd Plan, 2007 WL 664511 (4th 2007)
- Reininger v. Azdel, Inc. Retirement Plan, 768 F. Supp.2d 825 (W.D.NC 2011)
- Union Sec. Ins. Co. v. Thompson, 2010 WL 1610865 (W.D.NC 2010)
- Grooms v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 2009 WL 2878448 (M.D.NC 2009)
- Phillips v. Wythe County Community Hosp., 2008 WL 5382288 (W.D.VA 2008)
- Stevens v. Union Sec. Ins. Co., 559 F.Supp.2d 677 (W.D.VA 2008)
- Funkhouser v. Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. Group Plan, 2008 WL 648978 (W.D.VA 2008)
- Blankenship v. Mead Westvaco Corp., 2007 WL 2327585 (W.D.VA 2007)
- Williams v. Mead Westvaco Corp., 2007 WL 2327586 (W.D.VA 2007)
- Paschal v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 2007 WL 1189772 (W.D.VA 2007)
- Hale v. Kemper Nat. Services, Inc., 2005 WL 3533416 (W.D.VA 2005)
- Renfro v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of America, 2005 WL 1400743 (W.D.VA 2005)
- Halifax Regional Medical Center, Inc. v. Brown, 743 S.E.2d 70 (NC Ct. App. 2013)
- L-3 v. Innovative Wireless Technologies, Inc., USDC 1:12cv59 (E.D.VA 2012)
- Fresenius Medical Care v. Brooks Food Group, 2008 WL 2679187 (W.D.NC 2008)
- Baker v. Sturdy Built Mfg., Inc., 2007 WL 3124881 (E.D.VA 2007)
- CUNA Mutual Life Ins. v. Yates, USDC 7:06-cv-416 (W.D.VA 2006)
- Bondcote Corp. v. Ayers, 2006 WL 938734 (W.D.VA 2006)
- E.F. Couvrette Co., Inc. v. Roy Dickinson et al. (W.D.VA 2005)
- Lone Mountain Processing v. Bowser-Morner, 2005 WL 1894957 (W.D.VA 2005)
Intellectual Property Litigation
- McAirlaids, Inc. v. Kimberly-Clark Corp., 756 F.3d 307 (4th Cir. 2014)
- McAirlaids, Inc. v. Kimberly-Clark Corp., 2013 WL 6882699 (W.D.VA 2013)
- AvePoint, Inc. v. Power Tools, Inc., 981 F.Supp.2d 496 (W.D.VA 2013)
- Bedford Genealogical Soc. v. Bedford Museum, 2010 WL 2038843 (W.D.VA 2010)
Personal Injury Defense
- Kuykendall v. Young Life, 261 Fed.Appx. 480 (4th 2008)
- Fleming v. Coeburn Little League, Inc. et al, Case No. L02-19 (Wise Cir. Ct. 2003)
- R.R.H.A. v. B&B Holdings, LLC (Roanoke Cir. Ct. 2010)
- East Tennessee Natural Gas, LLC v. 10.81 Acres, 261 Fed.Appx. 480 (W.D.VA 2007)
- Walter Claytor v. R.R.H.A. (Roanoke Cir. Ct. 2005)
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.