Tim Bechen is a registered patent attorney in Woods Rogers’ Richmond office who focuses on electrical, software, mechanical, biomedical, videogame, puppeteering, and business method patents in a wide variety of business arenas.
Tim joined Woods Rogers after spending many years as a successful solo-practitioner at the law firm he founded after working in several large law firms including a large IP boutique. In his practice, Tim supports clients across the country and internationally, in a variety of industries with a full range of intellectual property (IP) needs:
- Patent application drafting, prosecution, and appeals before the U.S. Patent Office and various International Patent Offices
- Post Grant Review, Inter Partes Review, and Covered Business Method Review before the U.S. Patent Office
- Recognition, determination, and acquisition of trademarks, as well as trademark clearance activities
- Pre-litigation infringement / non-infringement analysis and opinions
- Forward deployment of IP assets via active licensing programs
- IP portfolio analysis in conjunction with a merger or acquisition, including determining, prioritizing, and securing IP assets for structured growth with consideration of funding rounds
Tim graduated from the University of Iowa with a B.S.E. in Electrical & Computer Engineering and a Certificate of Technical Entrepreneurship. He earned his J.D. and a Masters of Intellectual Property from the Franklin Pierce Law Center in Concord, New Hampshire, as well as an editor on the IDEA Law Journal.
Prior to law school, Tim was the first graduate of the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center, with a focus on high technology start-ups. He was also the Inaugural President of the Thomas Jefferson Intellectual Property Inns of Court.
His entrepreneurial spirit led him to develop and launch the not-for-profit company, Cancer Resource Network, providing computers and web-based content to cancer patients and their families. He is currently involved with a start-up company developing medical-based adaptive clothing for patients undergoing IV-based therapeutic treatments.
He is also a Certified Kettlebell Instructor.
Greater Richmond IP Law Association
License Executive Society
Virginia Bar Association
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.