Patice L. Holland, a principal in Woods Rogers’ Roanoke office, is an attorney with a diverse litigation practice and experience. She focuses primarily on employment litigation defense, intellectual property, transportation law (FELA, SAA, LIA), general civil and commercial litigation, real estate and commercial and residential landlord-tenant litigation, and insurance defense.
Patice handles cases involving breach of contract, the False Claims Act, eminent domain, trademark and copyright law, commercial and residential lease disputes and landlord-tenant litigation, and professional malpractice defense. Patice also represents clients regarding labor/management relations, discrimination, ERISA and FELA. She counsels and trains on human resources issues regularly.
She has extensive experience litigating cases in state and federal court as well as in mediation. Through her multifaceted litigation experience, Patice has garnered extensive knowledge in the areas of defending witness and document subpoenas and FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). She has provided training to local community services boards (CSBs) on FOIA, as well as Conflict of Interest and Board Fiduciary Responsibility.
Patice is a member of the Virginia Lawyers Weekly 2016 group of Up and Coming attorneys. She is also the Roanoke (Va.) Bar Association’s Young Lawyer of the Year for 2016. Virginia Super Lawyers selected her as a “Rising Star” in 2015 and 2016. She was awarded the Rev. F.E. Alexander Award for Excellence in Business by the Roanoke Chapter of the Urban Professional League (UPL) in 2014 and the “Drum Major for Justice” award by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) in 2018. Patice was also selected in 2019 for Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly’s inaugural class of “Influential Women of Law.”
Prior to joining Woods Rogers in 2007, Patice was a licensed mediator, certified by the Supreme Court of Virginia. She also worked as a diversity fellow/law clerk at Carlton Fields P.A. in Tampa, Fla., where she co-authored Compendium of State Timeshare Law: Kentucky, published by the American Bar Association. She also served as a judicial intern for the Hon. Donald Horrox and the Hon. Patrick Caddell of the Sixth Judicial Circuit in Pinellas County, Fla.
In the community, Patice serves as a board member and legal counsel for the Miss Virginia Pageant, Inc. She is chair of the Agency Funding Advisory Committee for arts and cultural organizations for the City of Roanoke. The Roanoke City Council appointed Patice to the board of the Roanoke Cultural Endowment Fund and the Roanoke Arts Commission.
American Bar Association
Florida Bar Association
Roanoke Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association—Membership Co-Chair (23rd Judicial Circuit); Transportation Law Section Council, Chair
Virginia Women’s Attorney Association—Roanoke Chapter
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Old Dominion Bar Association
Society for Human Resource Management—Roanoke Valley and Southside Virginia Chapters
Urban Professional League
- Subconscious Thoughts and Their Impact on the Workplace, Lynchburg Business, November/December 2018
- The Big Yellow Taxi Has a New Look, Lynchburg Business, June 2015
- Valuing Diversity and Recognizing Implicit Bias – Virginia Women’s Conference (2018)
- Receiving and Addressing Internal Complaints, Performance Improvement Plans – 2018 Labor & Employment Seminar
- Office Romance Ahead: Walking the Tightrope – 2014 Labor & Employment Seminar
- The Beast is Lurking: How to Handle Troublesome Employees – 2013 Labor & Employment Seminar
- Lorman Landlord Tenant Seminars
- Lorman Employment Law Seminars
Civil Rights Law Seminar – W&L Law – Fall 2018
Employment Defense Litigation
- Leonard v. Electro-Mechanical Corp., 2014 WL 2769125 (W.D.Va. 2014)
- McBeth v. Shearer’s Foods, Inc., 2014 WL 883981 (W.D.Va. 2014)
- Arthur v. Pet Dairy, 2013 WL 6228732 (W.D.Va. 2013)
- Arthur v. Pet Dairy, 2013 WL 6073465 (W.D.Va. 2013)
- McCall v. American Elec. Power System Long Term Disability Plan, 2012 WL 2236669 (W.D.Va. 2012)
- Lamar Co., LLC v. City of Roanoke Redevelopment and Housing Authority, 2011 WL 8964506 (Va. Cir. Ct. 2011)
False Claims Act
- S. v. Armet Armored Vehicles, Inc., 2014 WL 7045008 (W.D.Va. 2014)
- Skinner v. Armet Armored Vehicles, Inc., 2014 WL 4243670 (W.D.Va. 2014)
- Hollingsworth v. Norfolk Southern Ry. Co., 2010 S.E.2d 651 (Va. 2010)
- Cook v. John Hancock Life Ins. Co. (U.S.A.), 2013 WL 942384 (W.D.Va. 2013)
Intellectual Property (Trademark Litigation)
- Free Bridge Auto Sales, Inc. v. Focus, Inc., 2014 WL 521661 (W.D.Va. 2014)
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.