Victor Cardwell is Co-Chair of Woods Rogers’ Labor and Employment Law Section. He is also Chairman of the Woods Rogers Board of Directors. He practices labor and employment law throughout the U.S., focusing on diversity, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and labor/management relations—including union-organizing campaigns and union-avoidance techniques, and workplace violence.
Victor has significant experience before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board. He offers counsel to executive and human resources managers on a wide range of employer concerns—from harassment, sexual orientation/transgender, retaliation, and discrimination, to workforce reductions, handbooks and agreements, unfair competition, wage/hour compliance, health and disability, discipline/discharge, and employee leave.
Victor is a member of the Board of Governors of the Virginia Bar Association. He is also a member of the Virginia State Bar’s Board of Governors for its Diversity Conference and in 2018, was named to the Roanoke Law Foundation Fellows Program. He has received Virginia Lawyers Weekly Leaders in the Law recognition. He is regularly listed in industry rankings including Virginia Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law-Management and Labor Law-Management. He is also recognized by Martindale-Hubbell in Litigation and Labor and Employment. He is a member of the Lorman Education Services “Distinguished Faculty.”
Prior to joining Woods Rogers in 1991, Victor served as Deputy Associate Chief Counsel with the U. S. Department of Labor Benefits Review Board. He has served as a member of the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association, representing Virginia, and was appointed to the Human Rights Council of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Victor lends legal counsel to many Roanoke-area nonprofit organizations including the Bradley Free Clinic, Center in the Square, Grandin Theatre Foundation, Mill Mountain Zoo, United Way of Roanoke Valley, Science Museum of Western Virginia, and Human Rights Council of the Commonwealth of Virginia. He serves on the board of directors for the Bradley Free Clinic, and has served on the boards of the Science Museum of Western Virginia and the Virginia High School League Foundation. He has also been an active volunteer with Cosmopolitan International.
American Bar Association—Labor and Employment Section/Delegate Member from Virginia; Sports and Entertainment Law Section/Delegate Member from Virginia
American Inns of Court—Former Associate
National Bar Association
Old Dominion Bar Association
Roanoke Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association—Board of Governors (2018); Committee on Federal Judgeships; Western District Committee on Nominations to Virginia Commissions & Appellate Courts; Labor Relations & Employment Law Section Council; Law Practice Management Division Executive Committee & Council
Virginia State Bar—Board of Governors for VSB Diversity Conference
American Bar Association—Labor and Employment
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)—National, Lynchburg, and New River Valley (VA) Chapters
23rd Judicial Circuit Fee Dispute Resolution Program—Chairman
- FLSA: What’s a Few Minutes Here and There?
- Raging Waters: Over 5,000 I-9 Audits by September 2018!
- Supreme Court Allows Class Action Waivers
- Judge Blocks Trump’s Order Banning Transgender Soldiers
- What’s Happening at the EEOC?
- THE NEW FLSA REGULATIONS: Ready to DOUBLE YOUR FUN (and the exempt salary)?
- The Department of Labor Issues New Model FMLA Forms
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules in Favor of EEOC in Abercrombie & Fitch Refusal to Hire Religion Case
- Final Rule To Be Issued on FMLA’s Definition of Spouse
- What Does Six More Weeks of Winter Look Like for Your Balance Sheet?
- Unionized or Not, You Should Be Concerned About These Board Decisions
- Human Resources University for Credit Union HR Professionals – September 25-26, 2018
- Richmond SHRM: HR on (Mock) Trial – September 20, 2018
- 5th Annual Shenandoah SHRM Legal Update – September 19, 2018
- VA District Judges Summer Meeting – August 7, 2018
- VA Circuit Court Clerks: FMLA and ADA – June 6-7, 2018
- Virginia Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Conference – April 20, 2018
- Association of Clerks of the District Courts of Virginia 28th Annual Meeting – April 16-17, 2018
- North Carolina ALA Chapter Education Conference – March 13, 2018
- Richmond SHRM: Legal Update – February 13, 2018
Arthur v. Pet Dairy, 2013 WL 6228732 (W.D. Va. 2013)
Arthur v. Pet Dairy, 2013 WL 6073465, (W.D.Va. 2013), aff’d, 2015 WL 509345 (4th Cir. 2015) (ADEA)
Leonard v. Electro-Mechanical Corp., 2014 WL 2769125 (W.D.Va. 2014) (ADEA)
Leonard v. Electro-Mechanical Corp., 2014 WL 1385356, 29 A.D Cases 1241, 49 NDLR P 76, (W.D.Va.2014), (ADEA)
Barber v. JTEKT Automotive Virginia, Inc., 2013 WL 871191, (4th Cir. 2013) (Title VII)
Barber v. JTEKT Automotive Virginia, Inc., 2012 WL 1577364, (W.D.Va. 2012) (Title VII)
Bateman v. Therapeutic Innovations, Inc., 2007 WL 460828, (W.D.Va. 2007) (Harassment)
Glover v. Oppleman, 2001 WL 1453903, 58 Fed. R. Evid. Serv. 122, (W.D.Va. 2001) (Title VII)
Thomas v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 2001 WL 34790222, (W.D.Va. 2001)
Childress v. Appalachian Power Co., 1998 WL 417278, (4th Cir. 1998) (ADA)
Hampton v. Kroger Co., 1996 WL 560306, (W.D.Va. 1996)
Cole v. Appalachian Power Co., 1995 WL 684636, (S.D.W.Va. 1995)
Cole v. Appalachian Power Co. v. International Broth. of Elec. Workers, Local No. 978, 1995 WL 463711, (S.D.W.Va. 1995)
Norton v. Wilson, 1994 WL 644868, (4th Cir. 1994)
Bivens v. Roanoke County Salem Jail, 1994 WL 632737, (4th Cir. 1994)
Cox v. Pike, 1994 WL 203014, (4th Cir. 1994)
Drysdale v. Barco Associates, 1994 WL 129040 (W.D.Va. 1994)
Lawyer case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. Case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.